Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Reign Supreme Road Journal Entry #1



So, recently I made the abrupt decision to spend the summer in Philadelphia. I called my friend Klint and asked if I could crash on his futon, and there it was. I was drudging through an eighteen-hour drive from Tampa to Philadelphia all by my lonesome. Klint plays bass for Reign Supreme. As it turns out RS needed someone to roadie for them, and just like that, my summer plans changed.
As I write this, we’re sitting in front of the “colonial pantry” somewhere just outside morton, illinois figuring out what movie to play on my laptop, heading to the third show of a (whatever) day tour.

Day one – Cleveland, Ohio
We leave from Joe’s house around 9 am to head to Cleveland, Ohio. The show was pretty cool. This dude Nick who does Hope This Helps booking booked the gig (big ups to those tank tops). The venue was called “Now That’s Class” and apparently has a daily vegan meal served, which I didn’t get to experience this time around. Just outside the venue Joe had a run in with a local cruising on a mountain bike, equipped with a blue tooth headset. I believe the words she uttered went something like “Move your punk ass out the way”, “Get out the middle of the street”(it was a sidewalk), and “You better not have no money in ya pockets”. All in all it was a good run in. We met up with the dudes in Letdown at this show, who happen to be traveling in a mini van.
The show went pretty well. Not the best turn out for a Friday night, but a cool vibe. Letdown killed it. I’m so excited to be able to see these dudes every night and witness Bob jump off whatever he can find. RS played well. There was a point that Justin (bassist of Letdown) pointed out in which Jay looked like he was preaching to the crowd with his arms stretched to the sky, and everyone bopping up and down in unity with him. After the show we went and hung out with our new friend Taylor. Dude rules.
So, that’s day one. I’ll try and update every couple of days with pictures and crap from this trip. Keep an eye out. (always) Keep the faith.

Day 2 – Louisville, Kentucky
This show was in Louisville, KY. After a brief stop at the ever so delicious Chipotle, we left Cleveland and trekked to the venue. Once I was finished shaking off my cramps from sleeping on the floor of the van, I walked into the venue. The place was called the Brick House. From the back entrance it seemed a lot like a storage unit from the early 80’s, with Rifkin lying on a couch in the smoldering heat that encompassed the venue. I got to see a couple friends I hadn’t seen in awhile, so that was pretty cool. The show went pretty well aside from the heat. Everyone played in their underwear and Klint got naked. During load out it started pouring rain so we all stood around and picked our butts until the rain let up. We drove straight to Indianapolis from there and slept at this girl’s house. She had a pretty rad pool. Klint and I teamed up for some extreme chicken fighting. Titty twisters and kicks to the chest of the base DEFINITELY help you win. After eating random items from this generous girl’s kitchen, we hit the sack. In the morning we said our thanks and were on our way to Peoria, Illinois.

No comments: